Home (2022) version 2 Forums Styles of Harp Music 2022 JaNEWary Challenge from Harps North West

• 2022 JaNEWary Challenge from Harps North West

Posted by Judiann on 2 January, 2022 at 12:30 am

On the LTH Facebook group, Janet Engle posted about this free JaNEWary tutorial series from Harps North West, https://harpsnorthwest.org.uk/online-learning-links-/2022-janewary-challenge.html

The first 2022 piece is Carolan’s Dream. That arrangement is above my level, but videos from previous years are linked under the More > Online Learning menu. Can anyone suggest a previous JaNEWary piece that might be easier? I’m considering starting last year’s “Clouds in a Sunlit Sky” and wondered how approachable it would be for a late beginner.

I’ve watched only a couple of videos so far, but they discuss expression and phrasing, as well as fingering choices and the sound quality of individual notes. Very informative. Is anyone else participating this year?

Mary Misiaszek replied 2 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Nancy Beal

2 January, 2022 at 12:51 am

I’m participating! I love these January challenges. I think a lot of them are a bit more advanced, but you might actually be able to participate in Carolan’s Dream by simplifying the left hand. The tune itself is lovely and full of hand shapes and patterns. It would be just as lovely if you played only the first chord note of each measure in the left hand. Starting out that way leaves room for growth – when you are comfortable with the first chord note in each measure, then try for the second , etc. The 10ths she has on the music can be a stretch – you could also substitute 1-5 or 1-5-8 depending on where you are.

Leave out whatever notes, particularly in the LH, you need to in order to play the music. DHC would tell you that these are ‘suggestions’..and she’s right! Someone arranged the left hand for this tune – you can make your own arrangement to fit your comfort level.

• Judiann

2 January, 2022 at 1:40 am

@nancy.beal Thanks for the great suggestions. When I listened to today’s video of Carolan’s Dream,
      I really liked that arrangement. I had decided to wait until I could attempt it, but you are right — I could simplify it now and come back later for the full version.

Now I want to do both, a simplified Carolan’s Dream as wall as Clouds in a Sunlit Sky.

• Rebecca B

2 January, 2022 at 8:21 am

You may want to also check out The Seal Lullaby from a couple years ago. That was my first JaNEWary challenge, so it may hold a special place for me because of that, but you may find it accessible?

Also, the next one this month, Shelley Fairplay’s Down by the Old Walnut Tree, is gorgeous! I learned it in her Modes Reloaded class in 2021. So be sure to stay tuned!

I’m looking forward to learning this Carolan arrangement. 🌱

• Judiann

2 January, 2022 at 6:35 pm

@Reb Now my JaNEWary To Do List has four pieces. Looking at The Seal Lullaby, there’s a choice of either a Gentle Pace or a Fast Pace. I’ll investigate that slower track. It might be easier, so thanks for mentioning it.

Looking forward to hearing Down By the Walnut Tree on the 15th.

• Sharon Cullen

2 January, 2022 at 10:34 pm

I am so frustrated. I thought it sounded interesting to join. I could not find any music but ended up downloading book 7 by Shelly FairPlay and ordered it in pdf format, was charged £11for shipping said pdf, and cannot download it! It is so frustrating.

And then after ordering the book which now I realize may have been an advertisement I don’t have the Carolyn sheet music. Is there sheet music available or is it learned by ear only?

• Judiann

2 January, 2022 at 11:53 pm

@sharoncullen Oh, that must be frustrating! It is not the easiest site to navigate. The full sheet music for Carolan’s Dream is not available yet. Since this is the current JaNEWary challenge, you can only download the sections that are taught each day.

On the 2022 page https://harpsnorthwest.org.uk/online-learning-links-/2022-janewary-challenge.html
      there are text links under each video. For Day 1, the free PDF file has only the first line of music, a little over 4 measures. That’s all that is taught in the first video. The free Day 2 link adds to that, and it has the first 9 measures. I haven’t gotten that far, but that looks like section A of the piece, with first and second endings.

There are two ways to print these files. One is called Paper Saver, and you can insert the previous day’s printout into your printer and it will add only the new measures to it. The other is the Sheet Music download link, which is all the sections that have been taught to that point.

The previous years are available as full downloads, and the PDF files are free. There’s an index of pieces on the following page. Click on the names of the pieces to download the PDF files. The video tutorials for each year are linked in the right-hand column. https://harpsnorthwest.org.uk/online-learning-links-/online-learning.html

• Sharon Cullen

4 January, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Thank you for the info

• Mary Misiaszek

13 January, 2022 at 3:47 am

I also am participating, Today was the live zoom and something came up and I had to miss it 🙁.

I am not a fan of Celtic music, but I like this piece. I am looking forward to the next piece, and will also need to check out past years. I find the lessons very thorough and accessible!