Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• AnnJeannette Mead

3 March, 2021 at 5:07 am

Hello everyone! I thought I would chime in and share too, because it seems like a fun idea, a fun way to possibly meet some lovely harpists ?

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I wanted first wanted to play when I was young but did not have the opportunity. When I graduated high school I thought maybe I would buy a harp and learn but then realized the timing was not good then with starting college and taking on a lot of other responsibilities. Now I’m 24 and done with grad school so I finally have some time to dedicate to learning!

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

I find I am drawn to recognizable songs, and Celtic or Irish music. I grew up watching a lot of musicals so I would love to someday play songs from The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, Titanic, and The Wizard of Oz.

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

To start learning and see how much I can absorb. To continue with weekly harp lessons for at least three months (though I know they can be expensive) and to do independent learning too. I’m trying to play everyday for at least 30 minutes, but my goal is 5/7 days a week minimum. My practice sessions often end up going for longer than an hour because I’m really enjoying it! Another goal is to continue renting for a few months, and then to buy my very first harp!

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

I really enjoy that feeling of flow, being in the moment and focused on the music. That feeling of accomplishment when I learn something new or when I can play through a piece of music I love without too many mistakes.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I am very new to the harp, I just started playing with the beginning of February. I see a local harpist for lessons weekly and I currently have a rental. I’m hoping to eventually buy 2 harps: one larger floor harp with as many strings as possible (34-38) and full high quality levers, and one smaller harp I could use for travel and eventually for harp therapy. I likely will end up with a Dusty Strings, because I live north of Seattle in Washington State and the Dusty Strings main location is right there in Freemont. I visited their main store and they seem to put a lot of love into those harps! But I would ideally like to find a high quality used harp (less than 6-7 years old) to save some money and give a used instrument a loving home.