• Kate Adkins

3 March, 2021 at 4:55 am

This is great to see the pros and cons of switching from Piano to Harp. I took Piano in High School and it was never a passion of mine. However, I am thankful I had those lessons since it did give me a foundation in music theory which translates well to learning the harp. I agree on the endless tuning! Some days I just want to sit at the harp without having to go through all those strings and make sure they are in tune! It does seem to get better the older the harp is, though. I have an eight year old Harpsicle that has stayed pretty much in tune for several months now, miraculously.

Victoria, I agree on the time between taking piano and learning the harp helping. I think I would have a lot more aggrevation if I hadn’t had some time between when I quite Piano and took up harp. It is true to some extent that a harp is a naked piano turned on its side, but there seems to be so much more to think about when first starting in the harp. The piano has many challenges all its own, but at least you don’t have to pluck anything just the right way and you do have gravity on your side. My biggest challenge with the piano was figuring out the best hand positions for a piece. While, with the harp, bracketing feels a bit more natural to me for some reason.