Discussion Forum

Ask questions, share resources and connect with our Learning the Harp community around the world!

Home Forums Learning the Harp in Your Golden Years Hello silver harpists! Reply To: Hello silver harpists!

• SueEllen Hunter

3 March, 2021 at 12:05 am

Hi, Everyone, from North Central Florida. My name is SueEllen and i am 74 years young and I have had silver hair for decades now. I took less than a year of piano lessons when I was 10 but it taught me to read music. I had to make a choice between a horse and a harp and there were no harps or harpists in my small agricultural community ?. I watched Harpo play as a child and was intrigued by the way he made the harp speak for him. I love both but i have to say that horses are my life-long passion.

I bought a Heartland Legend 36- string harp which is made of carbon-fiber rather than wood and it weighs only 11 lbs. It is currently strung with nylon strings while i save money for the much pricier carbon fiber strings. I think the CF strings have a slightly brighter sound. I had a little over a year of harp lessons in 2016 and 2017 from a professional harpist so I have the basics. I was a caregiver for 7 years (2011-2018) for my husband and didn’t play after he passed away in 2018.

I just saw Christy-Lyn’s announcement in early February and decided to take it up again. It has already brightened my days and i have only just begun at the very beginning because I know as a life-long horse trainer that time spent on basics is never wasted. I especially appreciate Christy-Lyn’s occupational therapy-influenced teaching style because I got to observe a great many of my husband’s stroke rehab sessions. I have the start of MD which I am keeping from progressing with nutrition and specialized acupuncture. I love the way C-L uses hand shapes and muscle memory to learn a piece of music. It has made a tremendous improvement in my ability to successfully play a piece. I look forward to our progress, companionship, and fun. Much Love to you all.