Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Alyssa Cowell

2 March, 2021 at 3:31 pm

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I had never seen a harp up close in person, but have always wanted to play. A few Christmases ago I received the amazing gift of a harp kit to build one myself – it took me about 3 months of super-careful assembly and finishing to complete (zero wood working experience, a musician’s amount of patience, and limitless enthusiasm).

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

I am happy to play just about anything that will fit on my 26 string, no levers (yet) harp, but at my current skill level I enjoy ballads and traditional folk music most!

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

I’m a little stuck on the idea of learning/arranging songs from film adaptations of Jane Austen films – so many pretty melodies that would translate well to harp! More realistically: I would like to put together a short set list to play at a local farmer’s market or other small, low-pressure venue.

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

For me, the harp is a perfect combination of musical challenge and relaxation technique – the mind is engaged but the resulting music is calming and supremely satisfying.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

Building my harp was the most rewarding experience and led to a few more non-harp instrument builds – I would love to encourage anyone considering their own build!