Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Michael Stone

29 March, 2021 at 5:45 am

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I have a fondness for stringed instruments such as the lute, mandolin, theorbo and classical guitar. I also enjoy classical music, and tune into podcasts about the subject of classical music. Well on one of those pod casts they had a harpist on and she went on to explain the history of the harp and it’s repertoire. That set the spark of my interest in this instrument, and down the rabbit hole of research that lead me to purchasing my first Harpsicle.

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

Classical/ Baroque pieces, Music from video games such as Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, and Chrono Trigger (Can link the actual songs cause they are really good), Jazz/Funk

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

My goal is to honestly get better at sight reading. I have no issue memorizing songs, but I feel it will be a crutch in the long run. Additionally I play an instrument called the hand pan which is like an inverted steel drum you play with your hands. I want to combine the two instruments some how when my skills are good enough with the harp. I

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

I enjoy the sound and color of the harp, and just making music in general.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I hope to interact with more harpists here and hope to learn and grow with

this instrument!