Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• nightthunder

16 March, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Hi everyone/lovin’ this discussion!

1.What made you decide to play the harp?

Like others: the beauty of the instrument and the sound it produced. I lived in Chicago & didn’t go to the Lyon&Healy building! Then I moved & regretted that fact. My Mom encouraged me in music (I’ve played 5 instruments before harp.) Mom passed away & that was it; I needed the harp!

2.What is your favourite style or genre of harp music?

I love therapy music (I am a beginner). Love Ann Crosby Gaudet music. Have a ton of it but l enjoy so many other styles too.

3. What are your harp related goals for 2021?

Easy answer but not easy to do!! I’ve mentioned that I tried to play for my Sis (over the phone due to covid) and flubbed a piece I loved and had memorized as I panic. I need to go beyond a self nurturing harpists to one who can play for others so they may enjoy the beauty of the music. Don’t know what the problem is. My adult son loves to hear me practice-no one has been critical-I am to hard on myself.

4.What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

I have PTSD and the harp grounds me. I’ve had a lot of trauma throughout my life and I get healing and peace through my harp. I love the challenge of learning and the accomplishment!

5.Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes. Two things. The instruments I played didn’t require bass and along came my Camac Excalibur, 38 string so I am struggling with getting sources to learn bass. I love those low strings & want to use them. Also, I love meeting other harpists. Christy-Lyn has does such a great job of gathering us together! The nearest harpist in my area is hours and hours away; so keep talking folks!!