Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Lynda Von Rader

13 March, 2021 at 7:47 pm

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I have played the piano my whole life (I’m 61), and about 30 years ago I met William Rees when he and his wife came to dinner at my sister’s; and he brought a harp. He encouraged my kids and I to play with it, and I absolutely fell in love. I remember coming home, going on his website, downloading a catalog, and dreaming about owning a harp for years! Fast forward another 15 years and my husband bought me a Sharpsicle for Christmas. Unfortunately, at the time I had three teenagers, a full-time job, and learning to play the harp was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. It ended up sitting on my dresser for another 15 years, but I still had dreams of the beautiful harps in the Rees Harps catalog.

I am now retired, and like so many others, the pandemic seemed like the perfect time to take my Sharpsicle off the shelf and learn to play it. Remembering how much I struggled at first, I figured I wanted to do it right and get a teacher. I started taking lessons with Josh Layne almost a year ago, and absolutely love it. I finally ordered my beautiful Mariposa dream harp from Rees Harps, and I’m waiting for it to be delivered, hopefully sometime within the next month!

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

Classical music was always my favorite on the piano, and it is the same with the harp. I am enjoying learning Celtic music though!

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

I really want to get over my “stage fright.” Even on the piano, in front of people I choke, and I have played the piano at church for about 20 years! I seem to do fine with a piece, and then when I’m in front of my teacher or anyone else, I’m a mess!!

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

It’s such an absolutely gorgeous instrument, and the sound is beautiful, and I think learning to play it is going to help keep my brain young! 😉

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I really enjoy meeting all of you. I think like most of you, I don’t know anyone else who plays the harp in “real life.” I hope to find other harpists geographically close to me, And I would love to do a meet up, and maybe even go to a harp conference some day.