Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Tiffany Schaefer

13 March, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Hi Judiann, nice to meet you! Here are my answers:

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I was 22, had a new job, and was poking around ebay to see if by chance anyone had a lute for sale. I love English Renaissance music thanks to my mom. I saw a little harp instead and on impulse I bought it since I liked Celtic music too! That side is more from my dad. 🙂

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

Celtic, Celtic and more Celtic. I love the styles of Grainne Hambly, Sue Richards, etc. Really soon after I started playing I got involved in our local Scottish Games, got hooked on Scottish music and the people there. After helping to run our harp competition for several years, this year I became the sole harp chair for our Games committee. (But we’re not having a comp. due to the pandemic…so I get an extra year to prepare!!)

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

A) I’ve started doing zoom harp workshops last Fall, and have more taking shape for this year. When the craziness is over I would love to do some more in person.

B) Right now I’m really obsessed with session playing and I want to continue to get better at it and help other people get better at it.

C) Get back into performing in person – this time with friends!

D) Arrange a program for the US Scottish Harp Nationals which will hopefully, FINALLY take place in Ohio again in 2022, since 2020 and 2021 didn’t pan out! (Why didn’t I just compete in 2019?? Sigh. It’s been a goal for years and at this point I just want it off my bucket list so I can stop thinking about it, haha.)

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

The community it brings me. Ohio Scottish Arts School, not to mention the harp crowd on the internet, has given me lifelong friends. I’m also lucky that Cleveland where I live has a strong Irish-American community and amazing non-harp musicians (which I’m getting grandfathered into since I’m not Irish I just play the music, lol). This is the happiest and friendliest music on earth to me.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

Thanks for starting the thread!