Discussion Forum

Ask questions, share resources and connect with our Learning the Harp community around the world!

Home Forums Playing with Injuries or Physical Limitations Tremors How is your tremor? Reply To: How is your tremor?

• Debbie Jones

3 March, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with Essential Tremors last summer (2020), so I am fairly new to this. I am not on any specific medications for the tremors. I am 69 years old, and I assumed that my tremors were just a natural part of the aging process. Like Connie, I am left-handed, and my once very nice handwriting is atrocious at times now. However, my right-hand is more problematic at the harp than my left although both present problems. About two weeks ago, my teacher suggested a new technique that I should try, and it seems to help a little. I see how it could be very beneficial once I become comfortable doing it. What we are trying is this….when I move my hands to a new position on the harp, I do not hover or place my fingers on the strings immediately. I hover with a closed hand just as long as possible without placing. Then, at the last minute, I open my hands and place. This is taking a lot of practice, but I think it is helping. She has me practice by playing (very slowly) 3-note arpeggios in 4/4 time….three quarter notes followed by a quarter rest. Move to the new position on beat four while keeping my hand closed just as long as I can before opening and placing on the next notes. Right now I am focusing on root position chords, but as I become more comfortable with the technique, I hope to progress to other inversions and four-note arpeggios and various other hand positions. I neglected to say that I purchased my first harp, a walnut SE Fullsicle, in November, 2019. I began lessons in January, 2020 (thank goodness for Zoom!), and I purchased my second harp, a walnut Dusty Strings FH36H, in November, 2020. I’m looking forward to following others’ input on this topic.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Debbie Jones.