• Debbie Jones

3 March, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with Essential Tremors last summer (2020), so I am fairly new to this. I am not on any specific medications for the tremors. I am 69 years old, and I assumed that my tremors were just a natural part of the aging process. Like Connie, I am left-handed, and my once very nice handwriting is atrocious at times now. However, my right-hand is more problematic at the harp than my left although both present problems. About two weeks ago, my teacher suggested a new technique that I should try, and it seems to help a little. I see how it could be very beneficial once I become comfortable doing it. What we are trying is this….when I move my hands to a new position on the harp, I do not hover or place my fingers on the strings immediately. I hover with a closed hand just as long as possible without placing. Then, at the last minute, I open my hands and place. This is taking a lot of practice, but I think it is helping. She has me practice by playing (very slowly) 3-note arpeggios in 4/4 time….three quarter notes followed by a quarter rest. Move to the new position on beat four while keeping my hand closed just as long as I can before opening and placing on the next notes. Right now I am focusing on root position chords, but as I become more comfortable with the technique, I hope to progress to other inversions and four-note arpeggios and various other hand positions. I neglected to say that I purchased my first harp, a walnut SE Fullsicle, in November, 2019. I began lessons in January, 2020 (thank goodness for Zoom!), and I purchased my second harp, a walnut Dusty Strings FH36H, in November, 2020. I’m looking forward to following others’ input on this topic.