Discussion Forum

Ask questions, share resources and connect with our Learning the Harp community around the world!

Home Forums Getting Started with the Harp Pianists Learning the Harp Advantages and disadvantages of going from piano to harp. Reply To: Advantages and disadvantages of going from piano to harp.

• Daleen Comer

3 March, 2021 at 5:18 am

Hi, Pam,

I live in southern California and I have played piano for over 50 years; I also majored in piano performance in college and was a teacher until recently retiring. Plucking was a huge issue for me, and I still struggle with keeping the fingers down and thumbs up. Over the years I played around with a harp that my husband built while I was in college, but it was not really playable for me – the string spacing was too narrow. A few years ago when rheumatoid arthritis ruined my joints, piano was not going to be my main instrument anymore, so I thought, why not harp? I got a harp with wider spacing and started watching Christy-Lyn’s videos. I don’t mind playing very simple songs, because they sound so good just because they’re being played on a harp. Not like when my kids were learning cello and violin – ouch! I am also having fun playing some simple classical piano pieces on the harp, taken from my teaching materials. It’s a good challenge to figure out the fingering and bracketing, and it’s nice to hear classical music on the harp.