Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Victoria Johnson

3 March, 2021 at 3:04 am

Hi everyone! 🙂

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

I wanted my kids to have music literacy but I was remembered by how much I did not enjoy my own music lessons when I was little. I decided to involve my older kid in the decision making and she choose the harp after checking out a couple of instruments. I learned to play the harp to help her practice, but I eventually ended up taking lessons as well since I would like to play more advance pieces.

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

I love listening to all kinds of harp music: Celtic, contemporary, (some) classical. As a harp player I tend to gravitate towards pieces that are fast tempo and lively.

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

There are a few pieces of music that I wanted to tackle in 2021. I started most of them in 2020 but they are quite tricky. I would like to continue to spend time on them and get good at playing them by the end of this year. I also started a project called Talking Harps with two other harp friends. The first feature segment is an interview series called Harp Connections, and I will be following the social chains of the harpists in our lives to talk about their work. Producing content for the Talking Harps YouTube channel is a big harp-related focus for me in 2021. 🙂

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

I enjoy expressing myself through music, and the harp is the most suitable instrument for me. It is also a way for me to pick up where I left off with my musical training and build on my piano education. Learning and playing the harp also combine my love of music and desire to learn something new every day.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I don’t know any adult harp learners in my area, but through Christy-Lyn’s group I am able to connect with other adult harp learners who share the same love of harp. The sense of community I got from being in the group has been instrumental in keeping me motivated and encouraged in my harp journey. I look forward to growing and learning with everyone here!