Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Kate Adkins

3 March, 2021 at 2:19 am

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp? It has always been a dream of mine since I was about 7 or 8. I heard a CD of harp music and fell instantly in love. I begged my Mom to let me learn the harp instead of the Piano, but we already had a Piano and my Mom’s idea of a harp was the big concert grand pedal harps that cost upwards of $10k. Needless to say, it was piano lessons for me. Then, in high-school, I came across a website that sold lever harps. My parents very generously bought me my Harpsicle for a graduation gift and that is how it started.

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music? I love early music and Celtic music. However, I have also listened to some Rock covers on the harp that are absolutely amazing.

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021? I want to be able to stick to a regular practice routine. So far, my practice times have been pretty sporadic and I feel like I haven’t really advanced past the early beginner phase. I also want to get a good grasp on technique and be able to play some more complex pieces.

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp? The sound, most of all. I love how the harp sounds good even if all you do is pluck a few strings. The harp is a very versatile instrument, too, so it is a great tool when you want to be creative. There are so many special effects and extended techniques one can do with the harp. And, lastly, I don’t know if anyone can relate, but there is a sense of freedom and exhilaration that comes when playing or singing a song that you know well and love.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?I’m sure it will be a lot of fun reading through the answers to these questions. Each of us probably has a unique approach to why we decided to learn the harp and what we hope to accomplish. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and I’m very excited to be apart of this new community of fellow harp enthusiasts.