• Brenda Wood

2 March, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Hello everyone. I’m 74 so definitely silver both in age and hair colour lol. I have “played at playing” a number of instruments over the years but primarily as accompaniment for singing. For the past 20 years I haven’t played any instrument and the saying “use it or lose it” definitely applies to me as I’m struggling to remember so many things, particularly reading the bass clef and the notes in ledger lines, and I struggle so with using a metronome as I have always played by ear. I bought Aisling, my Dusty Strings 34 string harp in late Nov. 2019 and then was so terrified that I’d break her that it took me until May two months after Covid shut everyone in to get the courage to set her up. I still work full time at a shelter for abused women and children in Nova Scotia and at that time I began working from home. I began learning to play by watching YouTube videos and then I found Christy Lyn and began using her videos…so much easier. I’ve been practising for almost 9 months now and manage to practise for an hour to 2 hours each day. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis but refuse to let either stop me as playing my harp has become my mental health break each day. Aisling doesn’t make any demands and she’s very patient and never once has criticized any of my many mistakes and fumbles, although I have found myself apologizing to her more than once lol.