Discussion Forum

Ask questions, share resources and connect with our Learning the Harp community around the world!

Home Forums Learning the Harp in Your Golden Years Hello silver harpists! Reply To: Hello silver harpists!

• Sharon Cullen

2 March, 2021 at 6:53 am

Hi, I am feeling a bit silver, 59 and just started the harp one month ago. Today is my 1 month harpiversary! I am a musician. I played clarinet and also sang. I paralyzed a vocal cord permanently and had taken up playing the flute about 20 years ago. I have been playing ever since, in a small band as well as small orchestras. But I have a permanent lung infection which is making the large breath support challenging, and just like taking up the flute when my vocal cord was going I decided to begin harp as my breath support is going. I wanted to play harp at 8 years old but my parents couldn’t afford that. So here I am 51 years later! I began the flute just prior to my 40th birthday and now harp before my 60th!

Does anyone deal with arthritis or hand tremors? I have both. The tremors aren’t too bad but it does get in the way a bit.