Home (2022) version 2 Forums Getting Started with the Harp Harp Q&A: Getting to know you Reply To: Harp Q&A: Getting to know you

• Judiann

2 March, 2021 at 3:46 am

1. What made you decide to start playing the harp?

At the beginning of the pandemic, I decided to learn hammered dulcimer. After a few months, I was padding hammers and trying to make that instrument sound like a harp. It wasn’t going particularly well ?. That’s when I realized I should be playing harp instead. It was a roundabout way of getting here, but I’m so happy to have finally discovered the harp.

2. What is your favorite style or genre of harp music?

Traditional Celtic slow airs. They’re simply gorgeous on the harp.

3. What are your harp-related goals for 2021?

I’ve been learning tunes by chunking, for example, in 2-measure phrases. Stringing those chunks together in a smooth, flowing manner (without pauses) has been harder than expected. As if that weren’t enough, I’m also trying to memorize a few repertoire pieces and not rely so heavily on sheet music.

4. What do you enjoy most about playing the harp?

It’s all about the challenge. Playing the harp takes every single available brain cell. It’s all-encompassing. If it were easy, it wouldn’t be as fascinating. And it’s so encouraging to see progress.

5. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I’m really looking forward to meeting new friends and getting to know everyone on the forums here. How about you?