Home (2022) version 2 Forums Technique Questions 432Mhz or 440Mhz

• Diana

2 April, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Hi Amanda

Yes, I did retune my harp to 432 frequency and did notice a difference. 440, became the new standard default frequency just after WWll, decided by a few global elites. I think the idea was to create dissonance between our heads and our hearts. 432 is said to be the God note. All broadcasting has been reset to 440 frequency as well as our music. If that’s the case, it’s doesn’t surprise me there is such turmoil in the world.

I noticed the difference between the two frequencies is that tuned in 440, all the notes are sharper, kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard.

The tuner I had been using did not even give me the option to tune in 432. I had a buy a new one.

• Markus Faller

2 April, 2021 at 11:17 pm

If you compare pieces which are played tuned to 440 and 432 Hz on youtube it is not easy to say which tune is it. But if you hear the pieces played on a real harp you can recognize the difference very easily. For me the 432 Hz piece sounds more relaxing. If you play for your own there is no reason not to tune your harp to 432 Hz. Playing with other instruments makes it more complicated of coarse. If you have 2 harps you can make a direct comparison by tuning one harp to 432 and the other to 440 Hz.

• Diana

3 April, 2021 at 12:37 am

Hi Markus

I agree the difference was hard to hear on youtube but I did hear it when I tuned my harp to 432 and then tried the play through with Kristy. It would be challenging to play with others. I assume all instruments would have to be tuned to the same frequency? I don’t know for sure because I’m self taught and not a musical expert.

I just thought it was very interesting to learn about the different frequencies and how they could effect us emotionally and physically. I’m all for keeping an open mind and learning new ways to heal ourselves and the world with beautiful music.

• Amanda Barnes

3 April, 2021 at 1:07 am

Thanks for all the great information!

• Lydia Gaertner

9 April, 2021 at 1:32 am

I had my small harp tuned for some years in 432 Hz and I liked it a lot. But when I started to play with other people I had to tune it at 440 Hz – especially because there were instruments like the accordion who could not tune down.

But I read many articles about the 432 Hz tuning. I think I remember some comments that as professional singer you do ruin your voice if you sing in 440 Hz the whole time. Many professional musicians try to bring back the official frequence to 432 Hz – but so far without success.

• JJ Teije

1 March, 2024 at 4:10 pm

Is it not harmful to the harp when you tune it into 432 MHz? As I guess the string tension and soundboard are build for 440 MHz?

• Holly Harwood

6 March, 2024 at 8:02 am

The battle over standardizing tuning began in the 19th. Century. People wanted to standardize everything and everyone in the second half of that century. People used many different tunings. As long as you were all tuned together to play, it didn’t matter. 432 is called Verdi tuning, because he wrote for singers to sing in that tuning. I don’t believe there was a secret agenda behind standardizing tuning to 440. One can argue that standardization stifles the soul, however.

I have two wire-strung lyres made for 432 tuning. The inventors used that tuning to calm children and heal people, back in the beginning of the 20th. Century. There was a backlash against conformity and industrialization which I love studying.

• Katharina Kleidosty

25 March, 2024 at 10:33 am

Nice comment! Some people claim that 432 Hz used to be the standard tuning, but in reality there was no standard tuning. Through collections of historical tuning forks, we know that they ranged from about 415 Hz to as high as 450 Hz, so it’s not even true that instruments in the past were always tuned to a lower pitch, they could be higher too!

Most instruments sound best at whatever pitch they were built for, but going for a slightly higher or lower pitch will not physically harm the instrument.